...and what alice found there

Saturday, November 04, 2006

five makeup must-haves

that's right, i'm going ditsy girlie think pink mode today. it's late, i'm tired, and i really really should be doing work. boys and girls who are like boys roll your eyes.

so here goes:

5 makeup must-haves i probably shouldn't leave the house without in order of application

1. Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser - the only tinted moisturiser that actually has a little coverage. i could more or less get away with just that, there's a little reflective sheen to it so i layer a little extra under my eyes. it's a tad on the expensive side though, but i haven't found a good replacement.

2. MAC Sheer Select/Pressed Powder - as good as any i guess, but we always need powder, and this one doesn't crease or settle or look too dolly

3. Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner in Black Ink - love love love this. easy to put on (with a brush ladies and gentleladies) and doesn't move. seriously. and sure, it's a tad on the expensive side again, but seriously, i've had my little jar for almost a year now and i'm not even half way in, and believe me, i've been going at it daily. probably the only thing i'm recommending on this list. but get a good brush, a nice thin flat one so you can draw a good line but doesn't require too much precision .

4. Stila Convertible Colour in Lillium - easy peasy and looks pretty in my bag. it's awesomeness in a compact. this on has a lot of fans, stila does good marketing, considering mecca's their only distributor here and they charge crazy mecca tax.

5. Diorshow Mascara - nice and thick, and doesn't straighten out my freshly curled lashes as other wetter mascaras tend to do to my stupid asian lashes. (get this cheap over strawberryNET, FREE SHIPPING! WORLDWIDE!)


because it's such a cop out list, i'll give you five more

6. Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler - compliments of the ever beautiful Danny. it actually works. that's all that matters. do as i did and get someone to get it for you from the states, or now i hear people are going nuts over the kevyn aucoin ones now. speaking of which, i was just starting to go nuts over kevyn aucoin the month he passed away. freaky. and now 4 years after he's passed people are just getting into a product line which he didn't create by the way.

7. Rubis Slanted Tweezer - yeah it's $65. So i'm pretty glad i didn't lose it last time. but boy, it's worth it. it's so sharp it's a damn weapon. and so flat it clasps pretty tight around the pesky little new hairs. you can probably get it cheaper without the mecca tax

8. Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick in Bronze - yeah it's shit expensive. and yeah i could probably do without it. But since i have it, you bet your damn ass i'm using it every chance i get. that said it is very nice, and adds a nice shimmer (as you'd hope) and in summer i use it in place of a blusher. this should probably be where the MAC pressed powder is in terms of positioning, but it's late and i can't be bothered changing numbering.

9. Cetaphil Cleanser - your regular drugstore $11 for a giant bottle stuff. but the only thing that doesn't make my skin angry. girl can have expensive taste but my skin knows my worth.

10. Kiehl's Lip Balm SPF 15 in Hue No. 30G - it melts. it MELTS your lips, and it's perrdy. i know #1 is the good stuff but i'm liking the little hint of colour and the less thick and glucky texture here

____

yeah...i'm scaring myself too. i should stop spending money. to be honest i generally only have on the tinted moisturiser, the Diorshow mascara and the stila convertible colour (or CC as it is known amongst Vogue Beauty Forums circles, i'm a sad sad woman). i'll stop this. i might even take this post down sometimes in the future when i can think of a better list to replace it. but that'll do for now

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Strawberrynet too.And Sasa for low end asian products. And Ebay.
Everyone says Diorshow is amazing, but I've just been converted to Lancome Hypnose, I managed to get a sample on Ebay for around $2! It did involve staying up till like, 3am to snipe it though.
I think the Covergirl tinted moisturiser has good coverage, I don't wear it anymore because I want more than spf15, but Adam is pretty much married to it.
Have you been to Groove in Melbourne Central? It's a horrible tacky store, but they stock Nyx and Splash, which are like $3 but pretty good quality and come in vivid colours that almost rival MAC. I mean their eyeshadows and pencils, the other stuff looks questionable.

Now lets all wait till the feminist goddess in the sky drops a brick on my head. xo

♠AQ♥ said...

I didn't even know that Sasa had an online store! yay! more places to throw my imaginary money

and i love that you can share makeup with adam. (did you hear that darren? tinted moisturisers, get into it)

it's not right that we should feel so guilty talking about this. stupid feminist goddess in the sky. she should get some fake eyelashes and a stupidly glossy lippy. some red eyeshadow even! maybe then she won't be so angry all the time.

Anonymous said...

I just reread the end of your post and noticed you wrote that you're on Vogue Forums. I lurk there everyday. I don't think I'll get an account though. I'm so glad I'm not the only one obsessive about makeup though. These days I pretty much don't buy anything without doing a search on Vogue first or looking it up at makeupalley.com...I am a makeup nerd. Do you post there lots?