...and what alice found there

Sunday, November 19, 2006

five fives

5 things i love about christmas

1. because even after it's over, it's another week til new years. you never have to stop mucking around not doing anything

2. because of new years and the inevitable resolutions coming around the corner, you can eat yourself silly and not feel guilty about it. oh and what i pretend to be egg nog, custard in a cup.

3. the promise of presents. i mean face it, it's almost always disappointing in the end but just the lead up to it is so exciting (by the way, my phone doesn't have excited in it's dictionary, i totally thought i was going crazy and couldn't spell something i learnt in grade 4)

4. stupid christmas themed cartoons and tv shows. it's not as good as halloween but it's a decent runners up

5. the myer windows. it's always stupid and crowded and lately it's all commercially successful children's books but there's nothing wrong with that at all. every year i seem to be lining up to see it on my own. this year i plan to have a posse with me, sometime soon and sometime at night so there won't be a lot of people, who cares the lights won't be on, burke st is looking quite pretty these days. who's in?

5 reasons i need yet another moleskine
this list is purely selfish reasons, i really really want another one but i really really don't need it. so here goes

1. because my reporter 'skine has ran out of the perforated pages at the back and the boy has been checking under his pillow every time i've been over there and now i feel bad.

2. my old one is so full of crap that i get embarrassed whenever anyone wants to look at it

3. it's nearing the end anyway (oh how i lie, i'm only about half way through)

4. i......need........it?

5.

ok i couldn't do it. it'll have to wait.

5 phrases i don't want to hear in the next week

1. i'm sorry but...
2. chinese dragon lady
3. oriental blossom
4. classic passive aggressive
5. there are 6 girls i've seen up in darwin who are all younger and hungrier, and they're all better than you

5 things i thought about "A Guide To Recognising Your Saints"

1. that kid from the disney channel is all grown up! and making out to be a decent actor too. excellent cast all around, especially the kids

2. brutal, brutal film. i squirmed a good five times, with two of them getting some sudden clasping-of-hands-to-mouth action

3. first time director, and you can really tell. some aspects are so fresh and wonderfully exciting cinematically, but then there are some awkward movements from the present to the flashbacks, the overly jerky handicam action etc

4. although the story of the present is quite rich and interesting, the guts of it really lies in the memories, and i mean his books are based on all that so, even though it became more of a homecoming story for the film, it would have probably made a much more interesting movie if it was just the kids in queens. it seriously felt like a cross between mean streets and some spike lee movie.

5. i actually quite like rosario dawson. surprised myself too.

5 things that made me smile today

1. being able to sleep a good two hours longer than the boy and have a freshly brewed coffee waiting for me out of the shower

2. the dandelion i found next to the bus stop

3. my new birk's. they're pink!

4. just being in the NGV giftshop again. eventhough he didn't buy anything. the pencil case that he did like was actually a coin purse that didn't really fit the pens and all the others are either too big or not to his liking. but seeing the little'ons little one was pretty funny. you know what i'm talking about

5. watching a movie on my own again. but with the vital difference of being able to call someone and talk about it while i walk home.

1 comment:

Evolutionary_Ghost said...

Gah, you're blogging so much I can't even write a proper comment since I keep missing my window... I feel like I should pick up the slack on my own one, but Bah! this'll do...

Anyways, interestingly enough I just had a conversation with a friend of mine in New York about going to movies by your lonesome. There's something liberating about the experience which I really enjoy.

The other night I was planning some kind of movie night, but no-one was interested, and I slunk away, but I should have had the conviction to go to the movies by myself dammit! Maybe I'll do that this week sometime...

Anyways, new years and christmas is going to be different this year. It'll be the first 'holiday' period ever where I'll be working heaps and not be able to have a day off. So that's somewhat dissappointing.

That and I dont even have an idea of what sort of present I'd be after. Everything I want isn't exactly attainable in gift-wrapped form [except that one thing I could probably buy on the streets of St Kilda, but that's just all kinds of wrong...]

But I'm looking foward to another fantastic New Years Eve, so there's that to look foward to. Plus summer. People are just generally more open to craziness in summer, and that's what I'm trying to push for.

Oh and to double up: giddy giddy! Good luck for thursday!