...and what alice found there

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

alethiometer



OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!

i have never been more excited about a movie.

what is possible THE BEST children's books ever,
His Dark Materials are books i hold the dearest to my heart. books that i read and reread all throughout highschool and more or less set my mind for the rest of my life on topics of organised religion, life, maturity, sexuality, sin, pleasure, love, everything. there has never been a book i've enjoyed more, in both intellectual content and pure adventure.

i'm not even going to type properly i'm so excited. i mean sure, the casting is a little iffy. i'd always imagined someone with a really long neck for lord asriel, not mr no neck bond. and sure, we could do without a young child star named Dakota Blue. but zomfg! this is going to be the best movie ever!!!

from heart ripping page turning goodness of the first book to the epic battle between the church and the authority Vs. everyone for a Republic of Heaven, these books will blow your mind.

Philip Pullman is really THE master storyteller. while being a gripping yarn for the kids, he never talks down to the audience, and the most complex ideas i have ever had to grapple with were presented plainly in the midst of the greatest adventure story. the characters, i would happily give my life for the Iorek, or lee scorsbey, or indeed, lyra.

just...just....read it!!

ps/ the clip is just a teaser, the animation is in no way finished yet so don't worry about the crappy rendering

pps/ and yes, these are the books that made me foolishly run around oxford a whole day looking for jordan college. i realise now that it's fictional, and based on exeter college, which, i actually went to in my search. so i'm happy.

1 comment:

Evolutionary_Ghost said...

This one slipped me by. My formative years were moulded by the adventures of Dirk Pitt and Clive Cussler novels, any number of Star Wars series novels or for a slightly more obsessively younger me, Animorphs and my dreams of being able to transform into a cool animal and spy on people.

Strangely enough I didn't turn out to be a furry or a boy scout action adventure loving special projects director who dives and is a charmer with the lady-folk...

As for fantasy, I'm a Lewis Carrol traditionalist myself, and I also just perked up slightly on the sight that a man by the name of Tolkein Jnr is just releasing a new book, based on his fathers notes, and therefore shall be a bestseller even if it's complete crap...